Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

I hope this day find everyone with family and friends, in good health and in good cheer.  Happy Thanksgiving.


And, while we are talking about this day, please join me in my Black Thursday boycott. 

I have always loved Black Friday, the monstrous shopping day which starts the day after thanksgiving.  I used to go out every year at 11:00 to get my parking spot and place in line for the sales which would start at midnight.  I had a team of fellow shoppers and we each had assignments and we kept in constant communication.  I would start my shopping and planning weeks ahead of time as soon as the bootleg ad scans came out.  We ran Black Friday like a military operation.

Then, last year, the joy was taken out of it as stores began to open on Thanksgiving itself.  I feel  that  this is unfair to workers who had to sacrifice one of the few retail holidays left.  I feel that this is unfair to the shoppers who now have to decide between family time and chasing the big deals.  I can't bring myself to even look at the ads this year as so many of them announce "we are open on Thanksgiving!" 

I may do a little online shopping this evening but if I go out at all, I will not enter a store before midnight - no matter how tempting the offers.  Please join me in this boycott.  Maybe if the stores are empty on Thanksgiving, retailers will get the message and we can go back to "Black Friday" instead of "Back Thursday"

No comments:

Post a Comment