I don;t know how anyone else cleans house but when doing a big cleaning, my house always looks way worse before it get better. Yesterday was one of those days. Big Boy had asked me if a friend could spend the night and I really should have said "No". The downstairs had gotten pretty messy and desperately needed a vacuuming. I should have told him that unless he did his part to clean up, there was no way I was ready to have any of his friends over. But, taking the easy way out, I told him it was OK.
Then, I got the call that my van was ready at the shop and I would have to race to Easton to return the rental car and pick up the van. This means that there would be no time to tidy before the friend arrived and, in fact, I wouldn't even be home at the time (the other mother was OK with this).
So, we sent into the sleepover with a mess. One friend became two. Then, the boys stayed up all night drinking soda, eating candy and raiding my snack cabinet. And, of course, leaving a trail of destruction in their wake (dealing with that later).
After the other boys left, I was getting around to tackling the downstairs when another friend called and invited Big Boy over to their house for a sleepover. Part of me wanted to deny and order him to stay home and clean but I know from experience that it is easier to kick him out than supervise him. I told him he could go but had to clean up while we were waiting for his ride.
The house was looking worse before it got better but we had turned that corner and the family room was only waiting on the vacuum cleaner. But, I had not even look at the downstairs bathroom yet.
I confess, The downstairs bathroom is only used by Big Boy, his male friends and the cats (for drinking water on the counter). And, if you have never experienced a ten year old boy relieving himself, well, it reminds you of a fireman putting out a blaze. A fireman with imperfect aim. I know I should pay more attention to the room but I pretty much concentrate my cleaning efforts on the upstairs and only get to the downstairs bathroom every few months when I get a letter from the health department ordering me to do so.
The other's boy's mother came inside during the pick up and since we get along very well and have not seen each other for a while, we ended up chatting. Well, we chatted too long and the other mother had just come from watching her son play lacrosse. The inevitable happened, she asked to use the bathroom. Knowing that I have been in subway station bathrooms that are cleaner, I hesitated. But, she looked desperate. With many apologies, I let her venture in.
I feel bad for her having to endure Big Boy's bathroom but am pleased to announce that I have finished cleaning everything downstairs (except the kids' bedrooms) and the bathroom sparkles.
It seems like I can only keep one half of my house clean at a time though. When I came up from my downstairs cleaning spree, it was to a kitchen full of dishes, crumbs on the floor, and even a small suitcase, still packed from or latest trip... a week ago.
The only time I ever get the whole house cleaned at once is when we are going to entertain and I scrub everything for two days. I think it is time to throw a party.
No comments:
Post a Comment