Saturday, March 22, 2014

I don't mean to be a complainer

And heaven knows, my other can do enough complaining for the both of us.  But, I am not thrilled with the rehab center she is in right now.  To backtrack, Mom spent thirty days in a rehab center here on the Eastern Shore (near me) after a fall and a short hospital stay.  The day after I took her home, she succumbed to another UTI and fell again.  She ended up doing another three days in the hospital. and upon release, opted to go to a new rehab center on the Western Shore (near the rest of the family).  The thinking was that being closer to home and closer to two of her sons, she would get more visitors and I cannot argue with the logic. When she was over here, Lil' Bit and I went to see her every day and while it was a blessing to be able to keep an eye on her and spend time together, it was also a disruption to the family routine. 


The kids and I crossed the bridge and went to see Mom today and I was a little frustrated with the facility.  When I got there, she was in a  wheelchair.  She needs to be active in order to gain the strength to go home.  Why is she in a wheelchair.  Apparently, they move her to and from rehab in the wheelchair because it is more convenient for them.  Also, when I had arrived, she was in the bathroom, having been taken there in her wheelchair, by the nurse.


Well, of course, the first thing I did when I got there was find a walker and asked the staff where there was a space where we could spend time together - out of her room.  They directed me to an unused dining room.


I also noted, while I was there, that the nurses seemed a bit overwhelmed.  They were rushing between patients and had to scramble to come when I called for help for my mother's roommate (her oxygen had run out and she said that she could not breathe)


That's another thing.  Mom has a roommate, despite several empty rooms on the hall.  Why not give patients rooms to themselves until the place fills up and then double up?  I know why, it is because it is easier for the understaffed nurses to deal with two patients in one room than two patients in two room.


But, on the other hand, while I am not overly impressed with the place, it is easier for the rest of the family to get to her and company can be a great help in keeping her spirits up.  I hope they keep up the pace and keep spending time with Mom.


On a good note, since Medicare only pays for 30 days, I can easily predict when the staff will declare her well enough to return home.  Six days down, 24 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment