Here I bust chops to my readers for missing a day or two of reading the blog and then I disappear for a day and a half. My deepest apologies.
Big Boy and I went to the auction again today. It was a long cold day but we had a lot of fun. Lil Bit does not have the stamina for pickin' so she stayed home and kept her dad company. A couple of times, we suffered from what I call "loser's remorse". That is where you stop bidding because the price is getting too high and then, after the bidding ends and you are walking away empty handed, you think, "If I had just gone a few dollars higher..." One of the times this happened, I was after a set of brand new upper kitchen cabinets which would have fit perfectly int he area where I am planning to put in a bar/snack area. We already have the kegerator , a popcorn machine and a 4 foot fridge/freezer. Our goal is to put in a couple of bast cabinets and a counter top. I want to put upper cabinets but my husband disagrees. I think these cabinets would have won him over. I stopped my bidding at $50 and they went for $55 on a five dollar increment. I should have tried for $60. I am still haunted by the cabinets.
They were auctioning off a 1998 panel truck in really good shape. My husband and I decided to try to get it for under $2,000. I had either the last or second to last bid at $2.300 but the seller had a $3,500 reserve so the truck didn't sell at all. We had visions of using the truck one day in my husband's future catering business. Yes, he dreams of running a business where he smokes pit beef and ribs for company picnics and such.
Big Boy wanted a game cube for more than life itself and I won it for him for $11. And it actually works!
The big win of the day.... I got another Christmas Tree. Who can resist for $1. According tot he sticker, it retails for $139 but you know I would never have paid nearly that anyway. But for a dollar, I can put it out in the front yard next year and throw it away in January.
Oh, yeah, and I am not the only crazy out there. I met a woman at the auction who was buying some dreadful Christmas bulbs (but to each his own) and she and I got to chatting. It turns out that she put up 15 trees this past year. So, I now have something to strive for. I only need four more trees, and a whole lot more crazy, to beat her.
For all the Longenberger Basket fans out there, there were a ton of perfect condition baskets, mostly marked 1998. Check out the pictures
I was dying to see what they ended up going for but after five hours at the auction, Big Boy pooped out a few tables before they got to the baskets.
Enough about the auction.
If you recall my recent post about one of the jobs that I might be in contention for, I was sent the physical agility test requirements. We all had a good laugh picturing me doing the required sit ups and push ups. I called the Chief of that department to make sure we were all on the same page. He was very quick to agree with me that I could not pass the test - I should be insulted but I am thick skinned and realistic. He advised me that they were already working on a work around to make me exempt from the test. After all, I would be a police officer in name only. The job is a desk job and there would be no need for me to be able to run, jump, wrestle etc.
I have no idea which of the three jobs on the table is best for me right ow. They each have their pros and cons. But, no jobs are actually on the table right now anyway so I am not going to worry about which one I would choose until someone actually makes me some kind of an offer.





No comments:
Post a Comment