I was talking to by brother in law, Jim and he reminded me that I have not posted anything about my job search. No updates about my successes or failures or anything. There is a reason for this. I got to thinking that I wouldn’t want any prospective employers reading my thought on how interviews went or which job I wanted more than others.
One application I looked at but have not filled out yet, even asks you to identify all social networking sites you belong too. As a former background investigator, I think that is a pretty cool idea. One time, I even used drug information I found on an applicant’s myspace page to help disqualify and applicant so I know how useful this could be.
Even though I plan on keeping my active job prospects pretty close to the vest, I will update the ones where I am no longer in the running.
I had applied to the Caroline County Department of Corrects several months ago. The position was a sworn one (which means police powers and police certification) but was primarily advertised as an administrative position. I would be an Internal Affairs Investigator. My husband discussed the position and we decided that I did not want to be an actual jailer but the job would be a got fit if my contact with the population was limited. Big Boy must have overheard enough of the talk about the job to pick up on what it was about because one night at bedtime, he told me that he didn’t want me to take the job because he didn’t want me to get shanked. OK, he didn’t use the word “shank” but he pretty much described his vision of how it would happen.
I went into the interview knowing that there was a good chance that I would not accept the job, even if chosen. It turns out that I loved the warden. She was so cool. And she seemed to like me enough. I know I could have done a better job in the interview but, in my defense, it was my first job interview in over twenty-six years.
But, I noticed that they did keep harping on one question/detail. They kept reminding me that I would have regular contact with the inmates and be in the jail quite a bit. They kept asking me if I was OK with this. I kept saying that it was within my comfort level but I was lying. I don’t know if they were picking up on that or if they have had a problem with turnover in the past and so they interrogate all applicants.
At the end of it all, it was a moot point. I received my rejection letter. I am not broken up about it and the interview was good practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment