I have been intrigued by the new LED light bulbs but never wanted to invest the $20 per bulb in case I don’t care for them. The other day, Lowe’s had one on sale down from $19.98 to $9.98 so I had to jump in.
I purchased one and tried it out and was happy with it. It could be a little brighter but, unlike the Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL), it does work with a dimmer switch and that is the lamp I wanted to put it in. Also, it is not quite as white. Reading the label on the bulb brought a few interesting facts to light (pun intended). First off, the LED bulbs are even more energy efficient than the CFL bulbs. You can leave the bulb on for 3 hours a day every day and it will only cost you $.90 a year. Calculate this out and you can leave the bulb on all day, every day for a whole year for only $7.20. All over the country, there will be mothers who can no longer say “Turn the light off, you are wasting electricity”
To me, on of the most interesting fact gleaned from the label is that you can leave the light on for 3 hours a day every day and the bulb will last 22.8 years. I am not really sure that one has been tested since the bulbs were not around 23 years ago for such a test to have been conducted but I will take their word for it (since we believe everything we read).
So, this past week, I had to run out and update my will. I had to leave the bulb to somebody sine in all likelihood, it will outlast me. No, I don’t expect to die on my 66th birthday but since we don’t normally leave the light on for 3 hours a day, I figure my bulb will probably be working for another forty or fifty years.
This about this: The LED bulbs catch on and become quite the fad. Families with smaller children or those who have not started a family yet run out and buy the bulbs. The next generation grows up and moves on around age 22. Then, one day, the bulbs start to burn out. Can’t you picture a whole generation of young adults who end up sitting in the dark because they have never seen a light bulb being changed and don’t know how to do it. Maybe the LED light bulb isn’t such a hot idea after all.
My father in law is a huge fan of the CFL bulb. He discovered them several years ago and is trying to convert everyone he knows. He is light the Jonny Appleseed of light bulbs. I think that by now, every family member has received a box of CFL bulbs. Now, Dad, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but by my calculations, your average CFL, left on 3 hours a day, will need to be changed once every 3.5 years. Frankly, Dad, I don’t have time to be changing light bulbs every three years or so. I’m going to have to go with the LED.


No comments:
Post a Comment