Thursday, September 1, 2011

Girls' days

With Big Boy starting school and my husband off at work, Lil' Bit and I have been enjoying some girl time.  Yesterday, we had a conference with her new teacher which gave her the opportunity to check out her new classroom and gave the teacher some time with the parents.  We already knew the teacher though.  When Lil' Bit first came home from China, she had some developmental delays - especially, speech.  We received services from the Infants and Toddler's program for several weeks until Lil' Bit turned three and aged out of that program and into the school based program.  Her new kindergarten teacher was one of the speech teachers who had visited our home.

Lil' Bit is extremely anxious to start school.  She has been bugging me daily.  "When do I go to school?  When do we meet the teacher? Why can't I go to school today?  How many more days?"  I am very happy I have a child who loves school as much as she does.  I hope it never wears off.

Big Boy is not quite as enamored with school as Lil' Bit but he has started this school year off very excited.  he loves his new teacher and loves going tot he big school and especially loves that he has a locker.  The second elementary school is a former middle school so the kids have lockers.  hey are not allowed to put locks on them but it is still a thrill.

After our school conference yesterday, Lil' Bit and I ran some errands.  One of those errands was finishing out the dreaded school supply list.  While we were at Walmart, I figured that we might as well pick up a pair or two of long pants so that we are not caught off guard when the cold weather comes.  Lil' Bit surprised me by saying that she wanted jeans.  This was a dramatic departure from last year's uniform on boy's sweat pants.  We found a pair which was just a tad short i the length but  an even bigger tad too large in the waist.  I didn't want to go up a size for lenght and have them be way too big in the waist and behind.  So, we came home with two pair of size 3T pants for my soon to be 7 year old daughter.  By the time Big Boy was almost 7, he was bumping up against the adult sizes and here is Lil' Bit wearing toddler clothes.

After shopping and a 'Girls' Day Out ' lunch, we headed back past our house and then up North to meet with a friend who I only know from online.  Jenny recently adopted an almost two year old girl from China.  The little darling was so sweet and adorable she kinda got my biological clock ticking again (or whatever clock it is that adoptive parents hear).  Seeing the precious child snuggle her mother made me want to grab up Lil' Bit and hold her close.  But, Lil' Bit was too busy playing with the electrical outlet to be snuggled.  Whhaaaattt !?!?  Yes, she found the only electric outlet within five miles (we were at a playground for heavens sake) and was playing with the cover.  Well, at least she was playing quietly.  I do have to wonder what my new friend thought of my parenting skills.

One of our errands was to go by the lawn tractor repair place and look into getting a new starter for our riding mower.  Now, here is why I love living where I do.  Instead of selling em a new starter, the guy took my old one n the back, tested it and said that the starter worked, don't replace it.  Then, when I asked about how much it would cost me to have them look at eh mower, the guy spent about 15 minutes telling me and showing me how to check the engine to see if it was worth repairing.  He even gave me his card and said that he had a service call past my neighborhood so if I needed him to come by and look at it (for free) to give him a call.  Well, good news is that he explained everything so thoroughly that I was able to diagnose the problem myself.  bad news is that the diagnosis is not good. I now own a perfectly good pile of mower parts with no engine.  I should stop buy Lowe's and use my discount to get a new mower.  Oh, that's right, I don't work there anymore.  I guess my dear husband needs to start working some overtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment