Wednesday, November 16, 2011

All rise!

Just practicing.  My red bra interview the other day was for District Court Bailiff.  It is a half time job - working two days one week and three the next.  There are no benefits (other than pay and getting to listen to court cases) but at least the hours fit in with the school / daycare schedule.

I know that whenever I talk about a prospective job, I am more likely than not to say "it is not my dream job but..."  Well, it is not my dream job.  I have come o realize why I always seem to say that.  The fact of the matter is that I had my dream job and I have secretly been hoping to find the exact same job again.  I know that won't happen because part of why my old job was my dream job was because I held it for 17 years and in that time, the duties and responsibilities evolved to match my strengths and skill set.

When I first started in the position of Administrative Corporal, there was little or no computer work.  There was little or no committee involvement, no special projects and no supervisory responsibilities.  Over the years, the duties which I found least enjoyable got farmed out to others and I took on responsibilities that interested me...no, excited me.  I managed to find a use for my creative side and people skills.  I made the job very computer oriented.  I didn’t have to work hard to become a perfect fit for the job; I changed the job to be a perfect fit for me.

But, I keep forgetting that it took a long time for the job to get to the point where it fit me.  I have to remind myself that I will not find that exact job again.  I will have to find a way to be the perfect fit for my next job.

I digress.  Because of the luck of the red bra, or in spite of it, the interview went very well.  There are actually two opening.  One if based out of Easton (about 20 miles east) and the other is based out of Chestertown (30 miles North).  The Easton position is actually for a substitute bailiff and if I were to be hired fro that position, I could be called upon to work anywhere within about a  50 mile radius.  My schedule would not be fixed (other than being daytime).  I would get as much notice as they could give me but would not really know ahead of time when I would be working.

The Chestertown position is a steady schedule.  There is so little crime here on the Eastern Shore that they only have court two days a week.  They have been busy enough to add one Friday a month to the court schedule.  The best I can figure is that they only have one courtroom in operation.  (Yeah, be jealous my little P.G.Co friends).

Like I said, the interview went well and when the person in charge of hiring called me to set up the pre-employment physical, I told him that if I had a preference, I would like the Kent County location.  He replied that he had already planned on that position for me (if I got the job).  I took that as a good sign since I would be working with him in that courthouse so he must like me enough if he wants me there.

The job had potential to be mind numbingly boring but I have always felt that life is what you make of it.  I can see where listening to the court cases would be entertaining and, if I end up not liking the job, I can always move one.

Cross your fingers for me.

1 comment: