Friday, August 3, 2012

Offer and rejection

I got a call yesterday from the regional supervising bailiff for our district.  It seems that a part time bailiff two counties over is leaving so a part time bailiff from one county over is transferring to that position.  This leaves an opening in the county just to the south of me and the county in which I reside.  I was offered the sport but said I would have to think about it.  I took the night but I kinda knew from the outset what my answer would be.

Although the other position would save me twenty minutes on my commute each way (and gas savings) and although this position would allow me enough time to get the kids on the school bus and still make it to work on time (and not have to rely on my husband and his messed up schedule), the biggest reason to take the job was the opportunity to go to full time eventually.  Although I am still eligible to go to full time, I will never see it in my county because the court is only open ten days a month.  If I took the other job, I would be next in line when an opening came up but now, whomever they end up hiring will have first dibs.

But, I took all this into consideration and balanced it against the fact that I truly enjoy working where I work, and I know I would not enjoy working int he other county as much.  Where I am now, we are a family.  We have loads of fun while still getting the job done.  I am in the courtroom every working day rather than sitting at the courthouse door except for one courtroom shift (morning or afternoon)  a week.

I also realized that, although I have always said I was looking for full time work, I don't want to give up my free time and flexibility for the little bit of pay I would be getting.  Yes, I would leave this job for a career position, one where I was making some money but more important, making a difference.  But, to go to full time for little bay and mind numbing boredom... well, not so much.

So, I called the lead bailiff and turned down the transfer.  And I made the right choice.  My co-workers seemed genuinely pleased that I chose to stay with them and we had a really interesting day to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment