I tend to listen to conservative talk radio on my commute. And for the most part, I am on the same page with the commentators. But sometimes, they just seem to be looking for something to complain about. It is times like this I just have to shake my head. I, like my radio hosts, am against big government and high taxes. I am also against the government raising fees on things that we need, just to raise more money without looking like they are raising taxes.
So, on this particular commute, the radio hosts were railing against the Maryland state government for secretly taxing us to death by way of our motor vehicle fees. thier big complaint... the issue that took up 20 minutes of show time....? Our driver's license renewal fees were being unjustly raised from $30 every five years to $48 every eight years. Oh,. the inhumanity of it. How dare they. How can they raise the fee without.... wait a minute..... $30 for 5 years is $6 a year and $48 for 8 years is... oh, that is $6 per year as well. What's funny is they eventually moved on to another topic without ever realizing that Maryland had, in fact, not actually raised anything.
Maryland had figured out how to save money by not having to print licenses as often and by not having as many people come through the MVA each year, thereby saving on staffing, without even costing us a single cent more. Now, it is not often that government finds a way to operate more efficiently but let's give them credit when they do.
And the best part is that even though we all tend to put on a few new pounds each year and some of us get a litter grayer as time passes, My good looks and thin (just kidding ) figure are frozen in time for an extra three years!
No comments:
Post a Comment